Company of Biologists Support Grants are available for independent group leaders/PIs with no independent funding to attend meetings, conferences, workshops, practical courses, PI laboratory management courses and courses to re-train.
- Only current BSCB members of at least one calendar year’s standing are eligible and no awards will be made to lapsed members or those paying the incorrect subscription fee.
- The purpose of the award must be clearly linked to Cell Biology (in the broadest sense) or professional development and should be justified in the application.
- Up to £500 will be awarded for attendance inside the UK, up to £1,000 for Europe and up to £1,500 for outside Europe.
- Applications can be submitted at any time, but ahead of the event and leaving at least one month for processing and response.
- Applications are not competitive but will be processed in sequence of submission.
- If funds are requested for the PI to attend a workshop or meeting, the PI needs to present data. This does not apply to retraining courses. When presenting a poster or talk, an acknowledgement should be displayed, which can be downloaded (jpg below or pdf here.)
- Download the Company of Biologists support grant application form (Word format: APPLICATION FOR A BSCB:COB support grant or PDF format APPLICATION FOR A BSCB:COB support grant)
- Return the completed form to Dr Julie Welburn by email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The application should include a letter of support, not longer than 1 page long, including details of the proposed visit and brief explanation of why funds are required.
- In addition a letter from the Head of Department or Finance Officer is required to verify that the PI has no external funding streams that could be used to support the attendance of meetings, conferences, workshops, practical courses, PI laboratory management courses and courses to re-train.
- Applications, once approved, will require full receipts to process reimbursement.