The BSCB Summer Vacation Studentships offer financial support for high caliber undergraduate students, who wish to gain research experience in cell biology during their summer vacation. Our aim is to encourage students to consider a post-graduate research career in cell biology after their undergraduate studies.
Full details of how to apply for one of these studentships can be found in the revised application form — download it using the link below. NB: The application deadline is March 26th 2018.
Very general enquiries can be made to Professor Maria S Balda
- Studentships will only be awarded for students who have yet to complete their first degree, usually prior to their final year of studies. Students that are undertaking an integrated Masters Degree are eligible to apply.
- Awards comprise a student stipend of £180 per week for up to 8 weeks. Awards do not cover consumable costs.
- Applications must be made by the prospective supervisor on behalf of a named student. The supervisor must be the Head of the lab but named post-docs are allowed to offer day to day supervision (see application form).
- Supervisors must be a BSCB member for a minimum of one year before, or on the date of, the application. Only one application may be submitted per supervisor. There are no restrictions concerning the nationality of the student, nor do they have to be a student at a UK university. We do not accept re-applications in 2 consecutive years from successful labs. BSCB committee members are eligible to apply.
- The research project must be on a topic in the broad area of cell biology and must not form part of the student’s normal degree work. Projects will be assessed for objective, achievability and opportunity to the student. Students are encouraged to undertake a project at an institution other than the one at which they are studying.
- Applications will be reviewed by a panel of members from the BSCB committee. Feedback on unsuccessful applications will not be provided.
- The titles of funded projects, together with the names and institutions of the students and supervisors will be posted on the BSCB website.
- The successful applicants will be required to submit a short article (1-2 pages) describing the outcome of the project to:
Professor Maria S. Balda
Please submit this within two months of completion of the project.
Details of previous summer studentship awards can be found here.