Please see here and below for an important update about BSCB Summer Studentships for 2020
The BSCB Summer Vacation Studentships offer financial support for high calibre undergraduate students, who wish to gain research experience in cell biology during their summer vacation. Our aim is to encourage students to consider a post-graduate research career in cell biology after their undergraduate studies.
The deadline for the BSCB Summer Studentship applications for Summer 2020 has been extended until 30 April 2020 due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. All applications now need to have additional and specific information as follows:
- If it is not possible to carry out a wet lab project due to extended lab closures, an alternative project involving analysis of cell biological data should be included. This needs to explain how the student would access and be able to analyse cell biological data online, and which freely available software they would use.
- You should also include a description of how remote supervision of a student carrying out an online data analysis project will be carried out.
how to apply:
- The application must be made by the prospective supervisor. The extended deadline for 2020 is 30th April.
- Download and complete the supporting information form here
- Register an application in the online portal here, Select ‘Studentship’ as the scheme: you will need your BSCB membership number
- Upload the supporting information form as a single pdf within the application portal
Very general enquiries can be made to Professor Maria S Balda
- Studentships will only be awarded for students who have yet to complete their first degree, usually prior to their final year of studies. Students that are undertaking an integrated Masters Degree are eligible to apply.
- Awards comprise a student stipend of £250 per week for up to 8 weeks. Awards do not cover consumable costs.
- Applications must be made by the prospective supervisor on behalf of a named student. The supervisor must be the head of the lab but named post-docs are allowed to offer day to day supervision (see application form).
- Supervisors must be a BSCB member for a minimum of one year before, or on the date of, the application. Only one application may be submitted per supervisor. There are no restrictions concerning the nationality of the student, nor do they have to be a student at a UK university. We do not accept re-applications in 2 consecutive years from successful labs. BSCB committee members are eligible to apply.
- The research project must be on a topic in the broad area of cell biology and must not form part of the student’s normal degree work. Projects will be assessed for objective, achievability and opportunity to the student.
- Applications will be reviewed by a panel of members from the BSCB committee. Feedback on unsuccessful applications will not be provided.
- The titles of funded projects, together with the names and institutions of the students and supervisors will be posted on the BSCB website.
- The successful applicants will be required to submit a short article (1-2 pages) describing the outcome of the project to:
Professor Maria S. Balda
Please submit this within two months of completion of the project.
Details of previous summer studentship awards can be found here.